Our School is Becoming ResourceSmart
This year our school is taking action to become more environmentally sustainable through a Victorian Government initiative called ResourceSmart Schools.
ResourceSmart Schools is a program that helps our school embed sustainability in everything we do. We are aiming to reduce our resource use (like electricity, waste water) plus support indigenous plants and animals. This will also help us to save money. We also want to involve students, families and other members of our school and local community.
We are working with Ms. Kelsey Smith from CERES Community Environment Park on the actions of the Core and Waste Modules.
This year, we are aiming to create a strong foundation for our sustainability program, continue to build on our sustainability achievements, monitor our resource use by using a free website called ResourceSmart Online, get our community involved, participate in exciting events, supporting our students, including sustainability in our curriculum.
We can’t wait to… share our achievements with you, reduce our school’s impact, help make the Earth a better place for all, contribute to a sustainable future for all.
Read more about ResourceSmart Schools at https://www.sustainability.vic.gov.au/schools
The College is conscious of the need to provide an efficient process for families to be able to buy and sell their second- hand textbooks, uniforms and other student resources.
We are delighted to inform you of the schools new initiative to provide parent with the ability to trade these second-hand items via the Sustainable Schools website: http://www.sustainableschoolshop.com.au
Results from other schools have been excellent – families have enjoyed a very comprehensive and convenient method of buying and selling second-hand items.
For best results:
- Register on the Sustainable School Shop website and nominate the school
- A subscription to the service will be provided to you
- List your items for sale
- List wanted ads for those items you are looking to buy
- The school’s uniform and book lists are loaded into the system to make listing ads easy
- The system matches the ads of buyers with sellers and notifies the buyer via email
- Buyers contact sellers and arrange where and when to trade
- Most trading will occur with other parents from our school
- Parents are well supported via Sustainable School Shop’s telephone (0438 743 444) and email help lines
- The system is simple and easy to use – If you don’t have a computer, internet access or an email address, please call the Sustainable School Shop for assistance
- You can pre-arrange the transaction and then trade after the texts are not required
The College is providing this service to families free of cost and we hope you will make the most of this opportunity and gain the benefit from recycling your children’s school items, while at the same time helping another family within our school community.
eSafety for Parents: Advice for how to keep your child safe online
Monitoring you child’s use of technology can be difficult, but incredible important.
The eSafety Commissioner site has a lot of information for parents including
- How to manage screen time
- How to have handle tricky conversations about esafety
- Online gaming
- Unwanted contact and grooming